|Office:||Fenster Hall 613, 323 Martin Luther King Blvd|
About Dr. Li
Dr. Xiaobo Li is an Associate Professor and Director of the Computational Neuroanatomy and Neuroinformatics lab (CNN lab) in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT). Dr. Li received her Ph.D. in 2004 from the University of Birmingham, UK, on geometrical modeling in digitized data. She has extensive research experience in developing and translating mathematical techniques to quantitatively evaluate the structural and functional organization in the human brain using structural MRI/fMRI/DTI data, and extensive clinical application experience in brain development and disorders such as Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), schizophrenia, etc.
The CNN lab is currently recruiting PhD students and Postdoctoral Research Associates who are interested in joining the lab. Undergraduates are encouraged to apply for research rotations. Please contact Dr. Li if you are interested.
The goal of the CNN Lab directed by Dr. Li is to fill the gaps in field of Neurobiology and Neuroimaging, especially the lack of systematic construction of models for quantitative neurobiological criteria that can aid clinical diagnoses of cognitive dimensional deficits associated with severe brain disorders. The research of the CNN Lab focuses on development and implementations of analytic and statistic models for providing quantitative biological criteria that help diagnosis of cognitive deficits, by integrating high-dimensional multi-modal MR neuroimaging, clinical and behavioral data and refined imaging analysis and machine learning techniques.
1. Xiaobo Li*, Lynn Delisi, 2011. Chapter 7: White Matter Abnormalities in Schizophrenia Patients and Genetic High-risk Subjects. Schizophrenia Research: Recent Advances. Nova Science Publishers INC., NY. Editor Tomiki Sumiyoshi. ISBN: 978-1-61942-459-3
2. Wanlin Zhu, Tianzi Jiang, Xiaobo Li, 2006. Chapter 11: Deformable Models: Theory & Biomaterial Applications. Topics in Biomedical Engineering. International Book Series. Volume-II, Springer Publishers, Editors (Jasjit S. Suri and Aly Farag), ISBN: 0-387-31204-8.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications (names of the students mentored by Dr. Xiaobo Li are underlined)
1. Shugao Xia, John Foxe, Ariane E. Sroubek, Craig Branch, Xiaobo Li*, 2014: Topological organization of the small-world visual attention network in children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Frontiers Human Neuroscience, March 2014, volume 8, article 162. (Frontiers Top 10 neuroscience research articles blog post)
2. Xiaobo Li*, Margaret Black, Shugao Xia, Chenyang Zhan, Hilary Bertisch, Craig Branch, Lynn DeLisi, 2014: Subcortical structure alterations impact language processing in individuals with schizophrenia and those at high genetic risk. American Journal of Psychiatry, in revision.
3. Xiaobo Li*, Shugao Xia, Angelica De La Fuente, Craig Branch, 2013: The Role of Pulvinar-Cortical Functional Brain Pathways in Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 52:756-758.
4. Angelica De La Fuente, Xiaobo Li*, 2013: A review of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder from the perspective of brain networks. Frontiers: Human Neuroscience (Invited Reveiw), 2013 (7) 192.
5. Jianghong Liu, Changhao Yin, Shugao Xia, Longfei Jia, Yanqin Guo, Zhilian Zhao, Xiaobo Li*, Ying Han1*, Jianping, 2013: White matter changes in patients with amnestic mild cognitive impairment detected by diffusion tensor imaging. PLoS ONE, March 2013, 8(3), e59440.
6. Ariane Sroubek, Mary Kelly, Xiaobo Li*, 2013: Inattentiveness in Attention Deficit/ Hyperactivity Disorder. Neuroscience Bulletin, (Invited Review), 2013, 29(1): 103–110.
7. Kai Wu, Yasuyuki Taki, Kazunori Sato, Hiroshi Hashizume, Yuko Sassa, Hikaru Takeuchi, Benjamin Thyreau, Yong He, Alan C. Evans, Xiaobo Li, Ryuta Kawashima, Hiroshi Fukuda, 2013: Topological organization of functional brain networks in healthy children: Differences in relation to age, sex, and intelligence. Plos ONE, February 2013, 8(2), e55347.
8. Xiaobo Li*, Ariane Sroubek, Mary S. Kelly, Iris Lesser, Elyse Sussman, Yong He, Craig Branch, John J. Foxe, 1012: Atypical Pulvinar-cortical Pathways during Sustained Attention Performance in Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 51:11, p1197-1207.e4, Nov 2012. (Editor commended article)
9. Shugao Xia, Xiaobo Li*, Ariane E. Kimball, Mary S. Kelly, Iris Lesser, Craig Branch, 2012: Thalamic Shape and Connectivity Abnormalities in Children with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Psychiatry Research Neuroimaging, 204 (2012) 161-167.
10. Xiaobo Li*, Shugao Xia, Hilary C. Bertisch, Craig A. Branch, Lynn E. DeLisi, 2012: Unique topology of language processing brain network: A systems-level biomarker of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research, 2012, 141: 128-136.
11. Xiaobo Li*, 2012: Advances in Meeting the Needs of Open Access: From the Field of Psychiatric Disorders to General Public. Journal of Genetic Syndromes & Gene Therapy, doi: 10.4172/2157-7412.1000e103
12. Xiaobo Li*, Venkatesh Alapati, Courtney Jackson, Shugao Xia, Hilary C. Bertisch, Craig A. Branch, Lynn E. DeLisi, 2011: Structural Abnormalities in Language Circuits in Genetic High-risk Subjects and Schizophrenia Patients. Psychiatry Research Neuroimaging, 201 (2012), 182-189.
13. Xiaobo Li*, Craig Branch, Lynn Delisi, 2010: Disturbed Functional Connectivity of Cortical Activation during semantic discrimination in patients with schizophrenia and subjects at genetic high-risk. Brain Imaging and Behavior, 4: 109-120.
14. Xiaobo Li*, Craig Branch, Lynn DeLisi, 2009. Language pathway abnormalities in schizophrenia: a review of fMRI and other imaging studies. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 22:2, 131-139 (Invited Review).
15. Xiaobo Li, Craig Branch, Hilary Bertisch, Kyle Brown, Kamila Szulc, Babak Ardekani, Lynn Delisi 2007a: An fMRI Study of Language Processing in People at High Genetic Risk for Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research, 91: 62-72.
16. Xiaobo Li, Jiefeng Jiang, Wanlin Zhu, Tianzi Jiang, Yufeng Wang. 2007b. Asymmetry of Prefrontal Cortical Convolution Complexity in Males with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Using Fractal Information Dimension. Brain and Development, 29: 649-655.
17. Xiaobo Li, Robert Cripps 2007c: Algorithm for Finding All K-Nearest Neighbours in 3D Scattered Points and Its Application in Reverse Engineering. Journal of Engineering Design and Manufacture, 221: 1467-1472.
18. Xiaobo Li, Craig Branch, Babak Ardekani, Hilary Bertisch, Chindo Hicks, Lynn E. DeLisi, 2007d. fMRI Study of Language Activation in Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder and in Individuals Genetically at High Risk. Schizophrenia Research, 96: 14-24.
19. Lynn Delisi, Hilary Bertish, Kyle Brown, Xiaobo Li, Babak Ardekani, Craig Branch, 2007. Early Detection and Longitudinal Follow-up of Schizophrenia Using MRI. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 33: 365-366.
20. Shuyu Li, Tiangzi Jiang, Xiaobo Li, Litao Zhu, Chaozhe Zhu, Sheng Xie, Yinhua Wang, Jiangxi Xiao 2007: Hippocampal Shape Analysis of Alzheimer Disease Based on Machine Learning Methods. American Journal of Neuroradiology, 28: 1339-1345.
21. Lixia Tian, Tianzi Jiang, Meng Liang, Xiaobo Li, Kun Wang, Binli Cao 2007: Stabilities of Negative Correlations between Blood Oxygen Level-Dependent Signals Associated with Sensory and Motor Cortices. Human Brain Mapping, 28: 681-690.
22. Tianzi Jiang, Feng Shi, Wanlin Zhu, Shuyu Li, Xiaobo Li*, 2007. Shape Analysis of Human Brain with Cognitive Disorders. Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Volume 12, LNCS_4561, ISBN: 978-3-540-73318-8.
23. Fuchun Lin, Chunshui Yu, Tianzi Jiang, Xiaobo Li, Kuncheng Li, Wen Qin, Yunyun Duan 2006: Quantitative Analysis along Pyramidal Tract by Length-Normalized Parameterization based on Diffusion Tensor Tractography: Application to Patients with Relapsing Neuromyelitis Optica. Neuroimage, 33: 154-160.
24. Xiaobo Li 2005: Geometric Property Estimation from 3D Range Data Aided by Local Quadric Surface Fitting. Ninth International Conference on Computer Aided Design and Computer Graphics (CAD/CG 2005). IEEE Computer Society, 0-7695-2473-7/05, pp. 313-319.
25. Wanlin Zhu, Tianzi Jiang , Xiaobo Li 2005: Local Region Based Medical Image Segmentation Using J-Divergence Measures. 27th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMCS05), IEEE Computer Society, pp. 181-185.
26. Tianzi Jiang, Xiaobo Li, Gaolong Gong, Meng Liang, Lixia Tian, Fuchun Li, Yong He, Yufeng Zang, Chaozhe Zhu, Shuyu Li, Songyuan Tang 2005: Advances on Medical Imaging and Computing. Tenth IEEE International Conference of Computer Vision (ICCV’05), CVIBA, Liu, Y. et al. (Eds.), Springer, LNCS 3150, pp. 13-23.
27. Chaozhe Zhu, Yufeng Zang, Meng Liang, Lixia Tian, Yong He, Xiaobo Li, Manqiu Sui, Yufen Wang, Tianzi Jiang 2005: Discriminative Analysis of Brain Function at Resting-state for Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. 8th International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI’05) Duncan, J. and Gerig, G. (Eds.), Springer, LNCS 3750, pp. 468-475.
28. Li X, Cripps R. Geometric Property Estimation from 3D Range Data Aided by Local Quadric Surface Fitting. Computer Aided Design and Computer Graphics 2005, 313-319. IEEE Computer Society.
29. Li X, Cripps R, Ball A. Edited by Hinduja S. 34th International MATADOR Conference. Data Segmentation Using Implicit Surfaces , 75-80. 2004. Springer.
30. Li X, Ball A, Cripps R: Geometric Feature Estimation from 3D Digitized Data. Geometric Modelling 2003,1-8
SELECTED INVITED TALKS AND LECTURES
1. Xiaobo Li. Prospective Vision of Novel Neuroimaging-Psychological Integration in Future Neuroscience Research. Invited by Dr. Judith Papoport. NIMH Child Psychiatry Branch, MD, 2014.
2. Xiaobo Li. Advanced Neuroimaging and Statistic Techniques for Brain Research. Invited by Dr. Larry Seidman. Harvard University School of Medicine, MA, 2013.
3. Xiaobo Li. Disrupted Structural/Functional Brain Pathways in Schizophrenia and Genetic High-risk Individuals. Invited by Dr. Yong He. National Key Lab of Cognitive Neuroscience and Learning, Beijing Normal University, 2012.
4. Xiaobo Li. Computational Approaches to MRI for Schizophrenia Research. Invited by Dr. Jeffrey Halperin. Queens College, City University of New York, NY, 2011.
5. Xiaobo Li. Functional Circuits for Language processing in Schizophrenia. Invited by Dr. Mary Kelly. CERC Grand Round, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, NY, 2010.
6. Xiaobo Li, Computational Approaches to MRI for Brain Development and disorders. Invited by Dr. Douglas Ziedonis. University of Massachusetts Medical School, MA, 2009.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS AND ABSTRACTS
1. Xiaobo Li. Functional Brain Pathways Disrupted in Children with ADHD. Annual Meeting of Radiological Society of North America 2011.
2. Shugao Xia, Craig Branch, Xiaobo Li. Thalamic shape and connectivity analysis in children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Human Brain Mapping 2011.
3. Mingrui Xia, Shuyu Li, Xiaobo Li, Fang Pu, Deyu Li, Haijun Niu, Yubo Fan,Yong He. Age-related Changes in Surface Morphology of the Central Sulcus. Human Brain Mapping 2010.
4. Xiaobo Li, Craig Branch, Lynn DeLisi. Discriminative Analysis of Brain Function in Language Circuit in Schizophrenia. Human Brain Mapping 2009.
5. Xiaobo Li, Craig Branch, Lynn DeLisi. Discriminative Analysis of Brain Function in Language Circuit in Schizophrenia. Neuroscience 2009.
6. Xiaobo Li, Craig Branch. Increasingly disturbed synchrony of regional cortical activation during semantic discrimination in subjects at genetic high-risk for schizophrenia and patients with schizophrenia. Neuroscience 2008.
7. Xiaobo Li, Craig Branch, Babak Ardekani, Hilary Bertisch, Lynn DeLisi. Language lateralization in individuals with schizophrenia and individuals at genetic high risk. World Congress on Psychiatric Genetics XV 2007.
8. Xiaobo Li, Wanlin Zhu, Tianzi Jiang, Chunshui Yu, Manqiu Sui, Yufeng Wang, 2006: The abnormal prefrontal cortical shape complexity in boys with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Human Brian Mapping 2006.
9. Lixia Tian, Tianzi Jiang, Meng Liang, Xiaobo Li, Kun Wang, Binli Cao, 2006: Unstable Negative Correlations between Blood Oxygen Level-Dependent Signals Associated with Sensory and Motor Cortices. Human Brian Mapping 2006.
10. Xiaobo Li, Robert Cripps, 2002: Curvature Estimation from 3D Scattered Data. Fifth International Conference on Curves and Surfaces, 2002.
PRESS CONFERENCES AND MEDIA REPORTS
1. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Functional Brain Pathways Disrupted in Children with ADHD. Radiological Society of North America 2011 Press Conference, news release by Linda Brooks, (http://www.rsna.org/Media/rsna/RSNA11_newsrelease_target.cfm?id=559)
2. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Pediatric ADHD: Neuroimaging Can Target, Diagnose Inattention. Elsevier Global Medical News, news release by Susan Birk, http://infoviewer.biz/infodisplay/story/imn112920110948429706.html?APP=7&CU=imn5804
3. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Functional Brain Pathways Disrupted in Children with ADHD. Science Daily, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111128120138.htm
4. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Brain Pathways Seem Disrupted in Kids with ADHD. U.S. News & Word Report, News release by Jenifer Goodwin, http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2011/11/28/brain-pathways-seem-disrupted-in-kids-with-adhd
5. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Pediatric ADHD: Neuroimaging Can Target, Diagnose Inattention. Pediatric News, news release by Susan Birk, http://www.pediatricnews.com/single-view/pediatric-adhd-neuroimaging-can-target-diagnose-inattention/f39adb849a.html
6. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Functional Brain Pathways Disrupted in Children with ADHD. BioMechanism, http://biomechanism.com/functional-brain-pathways-disrupted-in-children-with-adhd/
7. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Brain Pathways Seem Disrupted in Kids with ADHD. UAMSHealth, http://www.uamshealth.com/Taxonomy/RelatedDocuments.aspx?id=0&sid=0&ContentTypeId=6&ContentID=658828
8. Xiaobo Li, 2011: ADHD Patients Have Disrupted Brain Pathways. Thirdage.com, http://www.thirdage.com/news/adhd-patients-have-disrupted-brain-pathways-study-says_11-28-2011
9. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Brain Function Disturbed in Kids with ADHD. Medscape Medical New, news release by Fran Lowry, http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/754365
10. Xiaobo Li, 2011: fMRI Shows Functional Brain Abnormalities in Children with ADHD. Diagnostic Imaging, news release by Patty Hastings, http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/conference-reports/rsna2011/content/article/113619/1998188
11. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Kids with ADHD Have Distinct Brain Pattern. WebMD, news release by Charlene Laino, http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/news/20111127/kids-with-adhd-have-distinct-brain-patterns?ecd=soc_tw_112911_9AM_newsADDbrain
12. Xiaobo Li, 2011: Functional Brain Pathways Disturbed in Children with ADHD, Doctor’s Guide Global Edition, news release by Alex Morrisson, http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/26275a.htm