|Title:||Professor Namas Chandra|
|Office:||105, CHEN building|
About Dr. Chandra
Dr. Namas Chandra is the Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Director, Center for Injury Bio-mechanics, Materials, and Medicine. He held Elmer-Koch Professorship of Engineering and recent past Associate Dean for research and Graduate Studies at the College of Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL).He is the Director of $ 5.8 M UNL-Army Center for Trauma Mechanics. After about 8 years of work experience in Nuclear Industry, Dr. Chandra completed his PhD in Mechanical Engineering in 1986 at Texas A&M University. From 1986 to 2006, he was at Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Florida State University. In 2006, after about 20 years as a research professor, Dr. Chandra became the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies at UNL. During this period, he has published over 192 publications including 95 in archival journals, edited four books, two book chapters, presented 45 colloquiums, 6 workshops. He has also supervised MS, PhD and post-doctoral students totaling 40 in numbers. As associate dean for research he oversaw a research funding of $30 Million per year for 175 faculty member in 11 different departments in the college. He has been continuously funded approximately $23 Million from federal, state and private agencies, with a current funding of $7M. He is dedicated to engineering education, esp. international education and has strong collaborative ties with Brazil, France, Sweden and India.
Dr. Chandra was the first engineering faculty to receive the Developing Scholar Award in 1993, and the only engineering faculty to receive the Outstanding Service to the Profession Award of the Florida Engineering Society in 1990. He was elected as a Fellow of ASME in 1997. He received the highest research honor as the University Research Professor at FSU in 2005. He is on the editorial board of four premier journals. He is the associate editor of the premier ASME journal of Materials, associate editor of International Journal of Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structure, and ASM journal of processing, and editorial board of CMES: Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, an International Journal. He was the organizing chair of the International Conference on Superplasticity -2000 in Orlando, and ICSSD 2005.
His research interests include computational mechanics of materials at various scales, superplasticity, interfaces, nano-bio materials, experimental mechanics, blast- and blunt-induced traumatic brain injury. Recently his Trauma Mechanics Research Laboratory was recognized in the top 10 shock labs in the country by Popular Science.
He has recently joined NJIT as the Director of CIBM3 and Professor of Biomedical engineering effective July 2013.
- Certificate, MDP-HARVARD, Management Development Program for Academic Deans and Directors, (Fifteen-day course), Harvard University, July 2008
- Certificate, Compliance and Research Administration Training and Education, CREATE, (Three-day course) Florida State University, March 2006
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University, August 1986
- M. S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Houston, April 1983
- AMIE (equivalent to B.S.), Metallurgy, Institute of Engineers, Calcutta, June 1978
- Certificate, Advanced Nuclear Engineering, Bhaba Atomic Research Center, Bombay, August 1974
- B.E., Mechanical Engineering, University of Madras, June 1973
Registered Professional Engineer, State of Florida, License No. 40075
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- American Society of Materials
- Metallurgical Society of AIME
- American Academy of Mechanics
- American Society of Engineering Education
Honors and Awards
- Graduation Commencement Keynote Speaker, Anna University, India, 3000 graduating engineers, March 16, 2007
- Elmer Koch Professor of Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2006-Present
- University Distinguished Research Professor, Florida State University (chosen university-wide), April 2005
- Contributing Editor, Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, International journal, 2003-Present
- Board of Editors, CMES: Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences, International journal, 2004-Present
- Karamcheti Professor of Engineering, Florida State University, 2000-2006
- Editorial Board, ASTM Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 1998-Present
- Associate Technical Editor, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, (published since 1847), 1998-2004
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME), 1997
- Developing Scholar Award, First Engineering faculty to receive the award at Florida State University, 1993
- Certificate of Appreciation, The American Metallurgical Society, 1992
- Outstanding Service to the Profession Award, First FSU Engineering Faculty to receive the award, Florida Engineering Society, 1990
- Certificate of Appreciation, NASA, 1989, 1991
- Certificate of Appreciation, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 1989, 1990
- Computational Material Science
- Mechanics of Nano, Bio, and Structural Materials and Structures
- Finite Deformation
- Multiscale Modeling and Simulation
- Molecular Dynamics
- Nonlinear Finite Elements
- Cohesive Zone Models and Fracture
- High Velocity Impact
- Interfaces in Solids
- Thermal Properties of Nanoscale Composites
Research Contracts and Grants
- Namas Chandra (PI): R. Rangarajan (MCW) and R. Feng (co-PIs), Injury Probability Curves Using Advanced Energetic Device, US Army Materials Research and Medical Command, $3, 123, 072, 7/1/2012 to 6/30/2017, Co-operative agreement, W81XWH-12-2-0056, First Year-$542,999 (Incremental funding for other years).
- Namas Chandra (PI) and R. Feng (co-PI), Test Methods and Protocols for Head Gears to Protect Soldiers from Blunt and Blast Induced mild TBI-Experiments and Simulations, ACC-APG/PEO Soldiers, Total award for three years: $1, 537, 927, 8/1/2012 to 7/31/2015; Co-operative agreement for first year, $130,081 (Incremental funding for other years).
- Namas Chandra (PI) and R. Feng (co-PI), Experimental and Computational Evaluation of Helmets Under Blast Loading Conditions, Natick Army Soldier Research and Development Command, $230, 000, 1/1/2011 to 10/31/2013.
- MRI: Development of CARS, CMMI 1126208, National Science Foundation, $266,460, Y. Lu, N. Chandra, P. Black, S. Duchrame, A. Pannier, and Y. Zhou, 9/1/2011 to 8/31/2014
- Phase II: Center for Trauma Mechanics, Army Research Office, $2,300,000, PI: N. Chandra, 11/1/2010-10/30/2013.
- ARRA: Behler High Power Laser Science, National Science Foundation, $1,825,345, PI: D. Manderscheid, co-PI: D. Umstadter, N. Chandra, Y. Lu, A. Weidge, 9/1/2010 to 8/30/2012.
- Factors that Facilitate or Inhibit Enrollment of Domestic Engineering PhD Students; A Mixed Methods Study, National Science Foundation, $149,851, PI: N. Chandra, 9/1/2009 to 8/30/2012.
- UNL-Army Center for Trauma Mechanics, Army Research Office, $3,261,250, PI: N. Chandra, 11/1/2008 to 10/31/2010.
- Adaptive heat sinks: alloyed copper/carbon nanofibers, Cooperation Program between Midi-Pyreness and Aquitaine (FRANCE), € 306,900, co-PI: N. Chandra, 2006 to 2009 for Amelie Veillere.
- Heat sinks with controlled architecture and carbon nanotubes and/or nanofibers, € 657,550, Research Foundation for aeronautics and space, co-PI: N. Chandra, 2006 to 2009 for Guillaume Lacombe
- Intro to ME: Design and Analysis: for Namas Chandra, Prentice Hall Publications, Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458, 340 pages, ISBN 0-13029-633-3, (2002).
- Superplasticity in Advanced Materials by N. Chandra, Materials Science Forum, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, 660 pages, ISBN 0-87849-845-5, (2001).
- Advances in Superplasticity and Superplastic Forming, by N. Chandra, H. Garmestani and R.E. Goforth, TMS Publishers, ISBN No. 0-87339-250-7, (1993).
- Advances in Finite Deformation Problems in Materials Processing and Structures, by N. Chandra and J.N. Reddy, ISBN No. 0-7918-0872-6, American Society of Mechanical Engineering Publishers, AMD- Vol. 125, 161 pages (1991).
Chapters in Books/Handbooks
- Namas Chandra, J-F. Silvain, A. Veillere, and J-M. Heintz, Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Copper-Carbon Composites in Electronic Packaging, Wiley Encyclopedia of Composites, edited by Luigi Nicolais, 2nd edition, Wiley Publications (under revision), (2011).
- Namas Chandra, Superplastic Materials and Superplastic Metal Forming, Handbook of Metallurgical Process Design, ed. G. E. Totten, K. Funatani and L. Xie, Mercel Dekker Publications, ISBN 0-8247-4106-4, 46 Pages, 205-250 (2004).
- Namas Chandra, Hierarchical Modeling of Deformation of Materials from the Atomic to Continuum Scale , Multiscale Modeling and Simulation of Composite Materials and Structures, ed. Y.W. Kwon, D. H. Allen, R. Talreja, Spring Publications, ISBN 0-8247-4106-4, 48 Pages, 579-624 (2008).
Referred Publications in Journals
- Fang Wang, Rodrigo Francoa, Maciej Skotak, Gang Hu, Namas Chandra, , Mechanical stretch exacerbates the cell death in SH-SY5Y cells exposed to paraquat: mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress, Neurotoxicology, 21 January 2014, (available online), http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0161813X14000047
- Juliana Navarro-Yepesa, Laura Zavala-Floresa, Anandhan Annaduraia, Fang Wang, Maciej Skotak, Namas Chandra, Ming Lid, Aglaia Pappag, Daniel Martinez-Fong, Luz Maria Del Razoe, Betzabet Quintanilla-Vegae, Rodrigo Francoa, Antioxidant gene therapy against neuronal cell death, Pharmocology & Therapeutics, 12 December 2013, (available online), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pharmthera.2013.12.007
- Firas Kobeissy, Stefania Mondello, Nihal Tümer, Hale Z Toklu, Melissa AWhidden, Nataliya Kirichenko, Zhiqun Zhang, Victor Prima, Walid Yassin, John Anagli, Namas Chandra, Stan Svetlov, Kevin K.W. Wang, Assessing Neuro-Systemic & Behavioral Components in the Pathophysiology of Blast-Related Brain Injury, Frontiers in Neurology, 4, 186, 1-19, (2013), doi: 10.3389/fneur 2013.00186
- V. Selvan, S. Ganpule, N. Kleinschmidt and N. Chandra, Blast Wave Loading Pathways in Heterogeneous Materials Systems-Experimental and Numerical Approach, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 135 (6), 61002-61014, (2013), June 2013.
- P. M Abdul Muneer, Heather Schuetz, Fang Wang, Maciej Skotak, Jocelyn Jones, Santhi Gorantla, Matthew C Zimmerman, Namas Chandra, James Haorah, Induction of Oxidative and Nitrosative damage leads to Cerebrovascular Inflammation in Animal Model of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Induced by Primary Blast, Free Radical Biology and Medicine 60, 282-291, (2013).
- M. Skotak, F. Wang, A. Alai, A. Holmberg, H. Seth, R. Switzer III, and N. Chandra, Rat Injury Model Under Controlled Field-Relevant Primary Blast Conditions: Acute Response to a Wide Range of Peak Overpressure, Journal of Neurotrauma, 30, 1147-1160, (2013), July 2013.
- T. Guillemet, P.M. Geffroy, J.M. Heintz, N. Chandra,, Y.F. Lu, and J. F. Silvain, An innovative process to fabricate copper/diamond composite films for thermal management applications, Composites, Part A, 42, 1746-1753, (2012)
- N. Chandra, S. Ganpule, N.N. Kleinschmit, R. Feng, A.D. Holmberg, A. Sundaramurthy, V. Selvan, A. Alai, Evolution of Blast Wave Profiles in Simulated Air Blasts: Experiment and Computational Modeling, Shock Waves: An international journal on shock waves, detonation and explosions, 22, 05,:403-415DOI: 10.1007/s00193-012-0399-2, (2012).
- S. Ganpule, A. Alai, E. Plougonven, and N. Chandra, Mechanics of Blast Loadings on the Head Models in the Study of Traumatic Brain Injury Using Experimental and Computational Approaches, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, DOI: 10-1007/s10237-012-0421-8, (July 2012).
- A. Sundaramurthy, A .Alai, ,S. Ganpule, A. Holmberg, E. Plougonven and N. Chandra, Blast-Induced Biomechanical Loading of the Rat: An Experimental and Anatomically Accurate Computational Blast Injury Model, Journal of Neurotrauma, 29, 13, 2352-2364, DOI: 10.1089/neu.2012.2413, (July 2012).
Publications in Books/Proceedings (Referred)
- A. Veillere, C. Vincent, J.-M. Heintz, N. Chandra, Silvain, J.-F, Role of Copper-Carbon Nanofibers Interfaces on Thermal Conductivity of Cu/CNF Composite, (to be presented), Powder Metallurgy World Congress 2012, Japan (October 2012).
- T. Guillemet, J.L. Battaglia, A. Kusik, A. Capella, J.-M. Heintz, N. Chandra, J.-F. Silvain, Y.F. Lu, Evaluation of Thermal Resistance at Silica/Diamond Interfaces Through Infrared Photothermal Radiometry, MRS2012, San Francisco (2012).
- T. Guillemet, J.-M. Heintz, N. Chandra, Y.F. Lu, J.-F. Silvain, An innovative Process to Fabricate Interphase-free Copper Diamond Composite Films, 7th European Advanced Technology Workshop on Micropackaging and Thermal Management, (February 2012), La Rochelle, France (2012).
- S. Ganpule, Y. Hua, L. Gu, Chandra, N, Evaluation of Blast Mitigation Strategies for Traumatic Brain Injury, Proceedings of ICCE-20, The twentieth annual international conference on composites/nano engineering, Beijing, China, July 2012
- T. Guillemet, J.-F. Silvain, J.-M. Heintz, N. Chandra, Y. F. Lu, Fabrication by Tape-Casting and Hot-pressing of Copper Diamond Composite Thin Films, 18th International Conference on Composite Materials, Seoul, South Korea (2011).
- H. Smith, M. C., Garrett, A. L., Weissinger, E., Chandra, N., It’s not what you think: A theory for understanding the lack of interest among domestic students in the engineering PhD, Frontiers in Engineering National Conference, Rapid City, South Dakota, (October 2011).
- C. Vincent, J.M. Heintz, A. Veillere, H. Kwon, G. Lalet, N. Chandra, A. Kawasaki, J. F. Silvain, State of the Art of Adaptive Cu/C Heat Sinks Materials Processed by Powder Metallurgy), Powder Metallurgy World Congress 2010, Florence, Italy, (October 2010).
- N. Chandra and G. Cao, Mechanics of Nanoscale Biological Cells and Their Role in Neurotrauma, Indo-Italian Advanced Level Workshop on Semi-Conductor Nanostructures, Ultra-thin Films and Applications, Anna University, Chennai, (September 2010).
- S. Ganpule, G, Cao, L, Gu and Chandra, N. The effect of shock wave on human head, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exhibition, 2, 339-346, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, IMECE2009-12875, 8 pages, Brain 4(November 2009)
- S. Ganpule, L. Gu, G. Cao and Chandra, N. Role of Helmet on Mitigating the Blast Induced Injury, 2009 Bio Medical Engineering Society (BMES) annual meeting, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, October 2009.
Poster Presentations (with published abstracts)
- D. K. Cullen, M. Skotak, C. Mietus, J. Frasca, F. Wang, K. Browne, D.H. Smith and N. Chandra, A porcine model of primary blast-induced TBI: Neuropathological comparisons to head rotational acceleration induced trauma, Journal of Neurotrauma, 30 (15), A60-A61, 31st Annual National Neurotrauma Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, August 4-7, 2013
- M. Skotak, F. Wang, R. Nandakumar and N. Chandra, The alterations of the cortical proteme in the rodent model of the primary blast TBI, Journal of Neurotrauma, 30 (15), A86-A87, 31st Annual National Neurotrauma Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, August 4-7, 2013
- M. Skotak, PM Abdul-Muneer, H. Schuetz, F. Wang, N. Chandra, J. Haorah, Primary Blast Induced Oxidative and Nitrosative stress causes cerebrovascular inflammation in animal model of mild traumatic brain injury, Journal of Neurotrauma, 30 (15), A142-A143, 31st Annual National Neurotrauma Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, August 4-7, 2013
- N. Chandra, M. Skotak, F. wang, SG Ganpule, J. Haorah, Do Primary Blast-Shock waves Cause mild TBI? Experimental Evidence Based on Animal Models and Human Cadaveric Heads, Journal of Neurotrauma, 30 (15), A80-A80, 31st Annual National Neurotrauma Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, August 4-7, 2013
- SG Ganpule, N. Chandra, R. Salzar, Mechanics of Blast Loading on Post-Mortem Human Heads in the Study of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Using Experimental and Computational Approaches, Journal of Neurotrauma, 30 (15), A124-A124, 31st Annual National Neurotrauma Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, August 4-7, 2013
- F. Wang, R.F. Cruz, M. Skotak and N. Chandra, Mechanical Stretch Exacerbates the Outcome in Cells Exposed to Environmental Neurotoxins: Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Oxidative Stress, Journal of Neurotrauma, 30 (15), A175-A175, 31st Annual National Neurotrauma Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, August 4-7, 2013
- K. Berglund, M. Skotak, F. Wang, N. Chandra and W. Liedtke, Mouse Model of Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Caused by Air Blast with Ultra-Long-Term Abnormalities in Neuronal Chloride and Social and Emotinal Behavior, Journal of Neurotrauma, 30 (15), A44-45, 31st Annual National Neurotrauma Meeting, Nashville, Tennessee, August 4-7, 2013
- M. Skotak, F. Wang, and N. Chandra, In-vivo acute pathophysiology rodent model of primary blast injury, Journal of Neurotrauma, 29(10), A67-68, 30th Annual National Neurotrauma Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, July 22-25, 2012
- F. Wang, M. Skotak, and N. Chandra, An in-vitro model for SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells: effect of strain and strain-rate, Journal of Neurotrauma, 29(10), A77-A77, 30th Annual National Neurotrauma Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, July 22-25, 2012.
- N. Chandra and R. Gupta, Shock loading-induced traumatic brain injury in animal models-experimental and computational studies, 9th World Congress on Brain Injury, Edinburgh, Scotland, March 21-25,ma also in Brain Injury, 26 (4-5), 415-415, (2012).
- Howell Smith, M. C., Weissinger, E., Chandra, N., Garrett, A. L., and Wang, S. C, How can you get there if you don’t know where you are going? A theory for understanding the lack of interest among domestic students in the engineering PhD. Poster session presented at the National Science Foundation Engineering Education Awardees Conference, Reston, VA, (March 2010).
- Howell Smith, M. C., Weissinger, E., Chandra, N., and Wang, S. C, Show me the money and other myths about domestic PhD engineering students. Poster session presented at the National Science Foundation Engineering Education Awardees Conference, Reston, VA, (February 2010).
Technical Presentations (with published abstracts)
- N. Chandra, J.M. Heintz, J. Douin, A. Veillere, J. F. Silvain, Relationship Between Interphase Chemistry and Mechanical Properties at the Scale of Micron in Cu-Cr/CF Composite, Powder Metallurgy World Congress and Exhibition, PM2012, Yokohoma, Japan, October 14-18, (2012).
- A. Veillere, C. Vincent, J.M. Heintz, N. Chandra, J. F. Silvain, Role of Copper-Carbon Nanofibers Interfaces on Thermal Conductivity of Cu-CNF Composite, Powder Metallurgy World Congress and Exhibition, PM2012, Yokohoma, Japan, October 14-18, (2012).
- J. F. Silvain, J.M. Heintz, C. Elissalde, N. Chandra, A. Kawasaki, Metal Matrix Composite with Nanometric Size Reinforcement: from Design to Characterization, Powder Metallurgy World Congress and Exhibition, PM2012, Yokohoma, Japan, October 14-18, (2012).
- T. Guillemet, J.M. Heintz, N. Chandra, Y. Lu, J. F. Silvain, Fabrication by Tape Casting and Hot pressing of Copper/Diamond Composite Films for Electronics Packaging Applications, Powder Metallurgy World Congress and Exhibition, PM2012, Yokohoma, Japan, October 14-18, (2012).
- N. Chandra, Our Approach to Sports Concussion, University of Nebraska Athletics Department, 22 August 2012.
- N. Chandra, Experimental and Computational Study of Blast induced Mild TBI, Second TBI research symposium, University of Maryland, Maryland, 19 May 2011
- N. Chandra, Micromechanical Injury Threshold Models of Neurons-Experiments and Theory, DOD Brain Injury Computational Modeling Expert Panel Meeting, St. Pete Beach, Florida, August 2010.
- Ganpule, S. Gu. L.X. and Chandra, N, MRI-Based Three Dimensional Modeling of Blast Traumatic Brain Injury, 2010 ASME International Engineering Congress and RD&D Expo, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada November 12-18, 2010
- Gu. L.X. and Chandra, N, Modeling Shock Response of Human Head Using Fluid-Structure Interaction (FSI), 16th US National Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (USNCTAM2010), State College, PA June 27-July 2, 2010
- Namas Chandra, Trauma Mechanics Research: Helmet design, brain and skull modeling, UNL Pentagon Research meeting, 28 July, 2010.
- Rama and N. Chandra, Development of a Pressure-Time Predicting Algorithm for a Superplastic Forming Process, March 1990, Mechanics and Materials Research Laboratory, MMRL-89-4.2.
- Aithal, N. Chandra and R. Chella, Characterization of mechanical properties of fiber-matrix composites subjected to thermal shock, March 1990, MMRL-89-3.1.
- Chandra, R. Chella and K.L. Chen, Effect of cracks on the mechanical behavior of brittle materials - A finite element approach, November 1989, MMRL-89-1.1.
- Anwar, N. Chandra, and R. Chella, Analysis of disk compression test, MMRL-89-2.1, December 1989.
- Chandra, N. Design of A Lunar Transportation System, NASA/USRA University Advanced Design Program, Second Annual Report, June 1989.
- Chandra, N. Design of A Lunar Transportation System, NASA/USRA University Advanced Design Program, Annual Report, June 1988.
- Chandra, N. Membrane Element Analysis of Axisymmetric Superplastic Sheet Metal Forming Processes, Interim Technical Report, ALCOA Center, October 1987.
- Chandra, N., W.E. Haisler and R.E. Goforth., Finite Element Analysis of Superplastic Metal Forming Processes, Interim Technical Report, ALCOA Center, Pennsylvania, September 1985.
- Chandra, N., W.E. Haisler and R.E. Goforth., A Survey of Finite Element Methods with Incompressibility Constraints, Mechanics and Materials Center Report No. MM-DAYCO-85-1, July 1985.