The Mission of the Biomedical Engineering Department is to
- educate undergraduate students for productive careers and life-long learning, especially in the health-related areas of industry, the professions, and government service;
- educate biomedical engineering graduate students for employment in industry, health professions, government, or academe;
- emphasize preparation for leadership roles for all levels of students, both undergraduate and graduate;
- engage in research to support the advanced education of graduate students, maintain the intellectual vitality of the faculty, and expand the frontiers of knowledge in areas of importance to the state and nation;
- publish and present the results of our intellectual activities, resulting from both research as well as teaching advances;
- serve our profession through membership and leadership in national and international societies, and
- serve our wider constituencies by offering our expertise to other health-related professionals, industries, and state and local communities.